Your personal health information is important for us to serve you.
This information is collected to determine your needs and to direct your service pathway and treatment. We may gather details on your physical and mental health and your personal health history.
Privacy and Security of Information
The Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004, requires anyone who provides health services to protect health information. We only collect the health information we need to determine your needs and cannot be use it for any other purposes without your permission.
- Your information is securely stored and disposed of according to law.
- Your information will only be viewed by authorized people who deliver your services, and all health service providers have signed contracts to keep your information confidential.
Consent and Sharing Your Information
We will ask for your consent before securely sharing your personal health information with other service providers. If you agree to share the information, it will be used to:
- Provide support and services based on your needs.
- Make sure your providers have the most up-to-date and complete record of your health history and needs.
- Support the coordination of your services.
- Make sure everyone is getting the right level of support and service.
Information collected by CMHA Halton is kept confidential.
However, we are allowed or may be required by law to share your information in these circumstances:
- If it is suspected that you intend to harm yourself or another person.
- In a medical emergency.
- If CMHA or any of our employees are served by the courts with a subpoena, summons, or warrant. We review all legal requests and determine if we need to share your information.
- In cases of suspected child abuse, including concerns for a child’s physical, sexual, or emotional safety.
- If we suspect that an older adult in a care setting is being harmed. We are required by law to report this to those who would ensure the person’s safety.
- If you give express consent for your information to be shared.
Selected data from our information system and assessments or questionnaires may be shared with program funders, partner programs, or organizations for reporting or research purposes or to improve services. We undertake robust privacy reviews to ensure proper establishment of processes for electronic data sharing.
We may use unidentified and aggregate (combined) data from evaluation surveys in publications or reports.
On occasion, files may be reviewed by a governing college or our accrediting body to ensure that appropriate processes are being followed in accordance with standards and guidelines.
You can change your consent or request to correct, update, or get a copy of your information. We will also investigate any suspected breach or unauthorized access to your information.
If you have concerns or want to know more about how we handle your information, please speak the person providing your support or contact our Privacy Officer at email@example.com.
You also have the right to contact the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario:
2 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400 Toronto, ON M4W 1A8
416-326-3333 or 1-800-387-0073
We do not automatically gather any personal information from visitors to our website, such as your name, phone number, e-mail, or address. This information is only obtained if you supply it voluntarily by contacting us via e-mail or signing up to receive our newsletter. Any personal information you provide to us will not be sold to any third party.